Re: Linux 3.8-rc4

From: Shuah Khan
Date: Fri Jan 18 2013 - 12:51:09 EST

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 8:51 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey, it's been another week already! In fact, it took me so much by
> surprise that it's been an extra day. The whole "release in the middle
> of the week" thing feels odd to me.
>
> [ That actually got me to wonder what the most common day was, and
> statistically I definitely do most releases on Sunday. The "git tip of
> the week" looks like this:
>
> git log --no-walk --pretty="%ad" $(git tag -l)
>
> which can then be piped into
>
> cut -d' ' -f1 | sort | uniq -c | sort -n
>
> to see the full git tagging statistics ]
>
> Anyway, with that digression, I can happily report that -rc4 is
> smaller than -rc3 despite the extra day, although not by much. There's
> not really a whole lot that stands out: apart from one new wireless
> driver (the Atheros Wilocity driver) and some OMAP drm changes, the
> diffstat looks pretty flat and spread out. Which just means lots of
> small changes all over.
>
> The ShortLog is appended, but it's basically 85% drivers, with over
> half the patch being to the aforementioned new wireless one and the
> OMAP drm changes. There's some other stuff there too, but it's largely
> in the noise - small ARM and s390 updates (and a smattering of SuperH
> and x86), a few tiny filesystem fixes, things like that.
>
> Go forth and test. My gut feel is that things really are calming down.
> And I'd hate to be proven wrong.
>
> Linus

reboot/shutdown hang in 3.8-rc3 due to
71e3d1578c954cf29f1f4db1c8930d3574025eb0 went away in this rc. But I
am still seeing

[ 22.890240] DMAR:[fault reason 06] PTE Read access is not set
[ 22.890268] dmar: DRHD: handling fault status reg 3
[ 22.890272] dmar: DMAR:[DMA Read] Request device [01:00.0] fault
addr 80004000

on ATI radeon VGA. Running bisect and will update.

-- Shuah