Re: [RFC Patch v1 00/31] Synopsys ARC Linux kernel Port

From: Vineet Gupta
Date: Sat Jan 19 2013 - 07:32:56 EST

On Saturday 19 January 2013 01:16 AM, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Tue 2012-11-20 19:47:58, Vineet Gupta wrote:

>>> Hmm... "Advanced Risc"... :-(.
>>>
>>> Ok, plus there's already computing standard called "arc".
>>>
>>> https://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/ARC
>>>
>>> What about calling the architecture "sarc" or "syarc" ?
>> I think it would be best use of everybody's time if you could focus on
>> the technical content of the port rather than the name. It has been like
>> that for +10 years and I don't intend to make the kernel port name
>> different from THE arch name itself.
> Yeah, and it is best use of reviewers time to confuse them with
> one-letter difference to very popular architecture... and use three
> letter acronym that was already taken.
>
> In this state, I hope your port never gets merged. Yes, I got used to
> do cd a<tab>/ar<tab>.
> Pavel

Although I really don't want to spend time arguing with you but still ...... if
you had a neighbor with same name as your friend your strategy most likely would
be to force one of them to change names - kind of seems funny and stupid.

Having said that, despite all the ranting so far, you've not managed to comment on
a single line of the actual code, which is more funny and stupid. So please stop
blathering and do some constructive work. I won't go around asking ARC name to be
changed because someone's Tab completion doesn't work anymore.

And I'm sorry dude, that alone won't prevent the port from being merged.

-Vineet