Re: Fwd: 2TB USB hard drive for backing up

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Jan 21 2013 - 16:21:56 EST

On 01/19/2013 03:40 PM, Ellwood Blues wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've had this problem for so long that today after compiling kernel
> 3.7.3 and not getting any improvements I decided to let you know that
> some of us still only able to use our GPT 3TB hard disks only on
> Windows.
>
> On linux only hdparm and gdisk see 3TB but also see some kind of
> corruption on the alternate GPT which is not true because on windows
> works flawlessly.
>
> I hope you won't take too long to make it work because this is the
> only reason I still loging in on windows, before buying this disk I
> didn't log in on windows at all.
>
> I don't need the EFI drivers to work because the BIOS is not ready for
> that, I only would like to read and write on the disk which is already
> half full and cannot do any new experiments trying to fix it with
> gdisk.
>
> I only need the kernel GPT drivers to work out.

This has nothing to do with GPT. The problem is that the capacity
reported by the drive is truncated:

May 3 18:19:06 relampago3 kernel: [ 3948.472796] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdf]
1565565872 512-byte logical blocks: (801 GB/746 GiB)

Is the hdparm produced via the USB interface or by plugging the internal
drive into an SATA/eSATA port?

Either way... it is offtopic for the linux-efi mailing list.

-hpa