Re: PROBLEM: 3.8.0-rc4 keyboard failure at boot

From: Brad Tilley
Date: Wed Jan 23 2013 - 11:51:44 EST

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 06:22:42PM +0100, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2013, Brad Tilley wrote:
>
> > See attached. Two dmesgs from the same machine. One from 3.7.3, the
> > other from 3.8-rc4 (with a ps2 keyboard). USB keyboards on this machine
> > never work with 3.8, but always works with 3.7.
> >
> > I used an old ps2 keyboard to enter the dm-crypt password. After that,
> > the boot process continues and the USB keyboard and mouse become active
> > and begin to work. However, USB keyboards do not work when the user is
> > prompted to enter the dm-crypt decryption password early in the boot
> > process. That's the primary issue.
>
> Are you sure that HID modules are loaded at the time you are being asked
> for the dmcrypt password?

Thanks... I believe that was the problem. I added some modules to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and made a new initramfs image. Here are the modules I added (likely overkill, but now the keyboards work 100% of the time on all systems):

ehci_pci usbcore usb_common xhci_hcd uhci_hcd ehci_hcd ohci_hcd usbhid hid_generic

Thanks,

Brad