Re: next-20130117 - kernel BUG with aio

From: Kent Overstreet
Date: Thu Jan 24 2013 - 16:39:51 EST

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 01:27:59PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 13:18:50 -0800
> Kent Overstreet <koverstreet@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > So, Andrew - that "smoosh struct kiocb" patch should just be dropped,
> > even if I fixed that issue clearly the idea is a lot less safe than I
> > thought. I've got patches for the other stuff I'm going to mail out
> > momentarily.
>
> Dropped. Do you expect that this will fix everything?

No, I didn't see that bug until after I'd fixed the other three, but as
far as I can tell everything's fixed with the patches I'm about to mail
out - my test VM has been running for the past two days without errors,
it's kill -9'ing a process that's got iocbs in flight to a loopback
device every two seconds.

> Please cc linux-fsdevel on the aio stuff - I'm seeing some AIO things
> over there which aren't cc'ed to lkml or linux-aio.

Will do

> Please also take a look at Jan's recent
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-fsdevel/msg61738.html and have a
> think about how this plays with your patchset.

Oh fun, I've chased a bug or two in that ext4 code, that stuff's
scary... I'm sure it'll take me a bit to wrap my head around what's
going on there but I'm looking at it now.