Re: [Web10g-user] Web10g TCP statistics patch - mainlining into kernel?

From: rapier
Date: Fri Jan 25 2013 - 15:08:17 EST

On 1/25/13 2:56 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

I already looked over the patch and it looks *fairly* sane. Having said
that, the best way to proceed for the performance side is probably to
get some rough ballpark numbers and then get the patch into a state
that's upstream-able before doing the final measurements (because there's
actually a high likelihood that the final numbers will end up being
dependent on the exact details of the patch, plus having more eyeballs on
it from the netdev side may shake out better approaches).

Sorry if you've already done all that - I didn't see much evidence of
it from the web10g-user archives...

The user side of the list has been pretty quiet to be sure. Most of the discussion happens internal to the team. The primary KIS developer is out the office until next week but I'll try to make sure he addresses this as soon as he can. I agree entirely with the more eyes approach and none of us have a lot of ego sunk into the details of the code in and of itself. As researchers, more than anything else, we want the concept moved forward. We believe, strongly, that having these metrics in the mainline can really do a lot to help the entire user community and spur some really neat development.

Chris