Re: [Web10g-user] Web10g TCP statistics patch - mainlining into kernel?

From: rapier
Date: Fri Jan 25 2013 - 15:10:18 EST

Hi,

My name is Chris Rapier and I'm on the Web10G dev team. We are interested in moving this into consideration for the mainline Linux kernel, in fact it's the primary goal of this project. We haven't brought this to the linux kernel community as of yet as we've not completed the quantification of performance/memory impact versus a vanilla baseline as of yet. Including the KIS we also have to test the impact the DKLM imposes (taking into account measurement granularity, number of concurrent connections, maximum throughput for a single stream, etc). Then we need to compare that against Web100 and write a paper. We're looking at around a 2 month time frame for that.

That being said, we welcome any and all insight and help on this that we can get from the community. Our desire to get the tests and paper worked out before bringing it to the kernel community was to simply make sure we would be able to answer any questions that might come up. Additionally, if you have any metrics of the impact of the KIS, DKLM, or any combination thereof we'd love to see them. The more data the better (for some definitions of better).

I and the rest of the development team are more than happy to answer any questions, address concerns, explain our thinking, discuss possible applications for this data, etc with anyone interested.

Thanks for your interest and I look forward to talking to anyone interested in our work.

Chris Rapier
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center