Re: 3.8.0-rc4+ - Oops on removing WinTV-HVR-1400 expresscard TV Tuner

From: Martin Mokrejs
Date: Thu Jan 31 2013 - 08:06:12 EST

Hi Chris,

Chris Clayton wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On 01/28/13 21:02, Martin Mokrejs wrote:
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Chris Clayton wrote:
>>> Hi Martin,

>>> I've struggled with this a little. For some reason, the expresscard
>>> doesn't always stay properly inserted in the slot when I insert it.
>>> Now that hotplug is working, the modules are being loaded and when
>>> the card pops out again, I get an oops because, of course, the driver
>>> is running and the card disappears. Perhaps the driver can be made a
>>> bit more robust to sudden disappearance of the card. I'll report the
>>
>> Yes, I had or maybe still have same issues here. I used to get an Oops
>> for sata_sil24 card weird behavior for USB3.0 NEC-based card. It was
>> fine always for a VIA-based firewire card and serial PL2303-based one.
>> I found out it is better if a usb device is connected to the USB card
>> because if that slips out then the libata layer quickly realizes that.
>> If there was no device connected, the usb waits too long before it removes
>> the usb hub from the system. And if you plugin the card meanwhile
>> back into the slot, weird thing happen.
>>
> My usb3 expresscard device has arrived and I get an oops with that
> too, if I remove it without unloading the driver first. I guess it
> shouldn't be a surprise that the driver isn't expecting the device to
> disappear.

I avoided the oopses when a USB device to connected to the express card.
Nevertheless, you should report it to linux-usb and linux-pci mailing lists,
along with the oops stacktrace (under a new thread). Maybe you suffer from
another Oops.

> As I mentioned, I have some trouble with the WinTV-HVR-1400 card,
> which sometimes pops out again, if I push it into the slot too hard
> (but I'm geeting better at that with practice). So what I've done
> (with the usb3 card too) to avoid the oopsen is blacklist the driver
> in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and then load them when I'm sure
> the card is properly inserted. Not exactly hotplug, but at least I
> don't have to reboot because of an oops- and it's not something I'm
> doing several times an hour.

Yeah, i also my way around - not fiddle much with the cards and if they
slip out during insertion, don't re-plug them too quickly (at least with
the USB3 card and SATA card I had problems).

BTW, if you remove a card, you are supposed to push the card into the slot
so it gets ejected. Do not just pull it out (what I did in the beginnings).
I was told that is not the right way (probably affects the PresDet status).

Martin