RE: How to online remove an error scsi disk from the system?

From: Jack Wang
Date: Fri Feb 01 2013 - 04:26:08 EST

On 02/01/2013 04:50 PM, Jack Wang wrote:
> Hi All,
> In our product system, we have several sata disks attached to one
> machine. So when one of the disk fails, the jbd2(yes, we use ext4)
> will hang forever and we will get something in /var/log/messages like
below.
> It seems to me that the io sent to the scsi layer is never returned
> back with -EIO which is a little bit surprised for me(It should be a
> timeout somewhere, right?). We have tried echo "offline" >
> /sys/block/sdl/device/state, but it doesn't work. So is there any way
> for us to let the scsi device returns all the io requests back with
> EIO so that all the end_io can be called accordingly? Am I missing
something here?

> Thanks,
> Tao
> [Jack Wang]
> Hi Tao,
>
> Have you tried:
> echo 1 > /sys/block/sdv/device/delete
It will do some IO first so it will hang doing IO.
> echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host
What do you mean for this line?

[Jack Wang] Sorry I mean to let the driver rescan to get the disk back.
The line should be :
echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/hostx/scan.

Per above delete does not work , so no need to run this.

> another way is :
> find out which phy the disk attached to and:
> echo 1 > /sys/class/sas_phy/phy-x:x:x/link_reset
sorry, I have done it, but there is no response.

[Jack Wang]
What about
echo 1 > /sys/class/sas_phy/phy-x:x:x/hard_reset

?
Thanks,
Tao