Question about printking

From: Ezequiel Garcia
Date: Sat Feb 02 2013 - 14:30:45 EST

Hello,

I have a quick question.
I (think I) remember Greg KH reviewing some driver patch on staging
mailing list,
suggesting not to do this sort of printking upon an allocation request failure:

ptr = kmalloc(sizeof(foo));
if (!ptr) {
pr_err("Cannot allocate memory for foo\n");
return -ENOMEM;
}

His argue against it was that kmalloc already takes care of reporting/printking
a good deal of interesting information when this happens.

Is my memory right?

Can someone expand a bit on this whole idea? (of abuse of printing,
or futility of printing).

I'm asking after seeing *a lot* of drivers doing exactly this.

Thanks,

--
Ezequiel