Re: infiniband: cxgb4: GCC warnings for 32 bit

From: Paul Bolle
Date: Tue Feb 05 2013 - 11:37:06 EST

On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 09:46 -0600, Steve Wise wrote:
> On 2/5/2013 4:15 AM, Paul Bolle wrote:
> > And why is 'cookie' __u64? Is struct cpl_fw6_msg_ofld_connection_wr_rpl
> > used in userspace code? Can't 'cookie' be of type "struct sk_buff *"? Is
> > there a requirement for it to be 64 bits wide on both 32 bit and 64 bit?
>
> In general, these fields are __ types to highlight the fact that they
> define an interface between the host driver and adapter firmware.

That's something new for me. Is that a custom for infiniband drivers or
is it used throughout the tree?

> These
> "cookie" fields are opaque to the firmware. They are passed to firmware
> in a work request and then reflected back to the host in the reply to
> the work request. Given this, I think there are two issues:
>
> 1) no swapping is really needed. The values are opaque to firmware, and
> thus can stay in host byte order.
>
> 2) to remove the warning, we need something like:
>
> req->cookie = (unsigned long)skb;
>
> and
>
> rpl_skb = (struct sk_buff *)(unsigned long)req->cookie;

That's is exactly what I came up with to silence these warnings. But I
didn't dare to submit it because I was too puzzled with the current
code. Anyhow, should I submit the (trivial) patch to fix this?

Paul Bolle