Re: next-20130204 - bisected slab problem to "slab: Common constantsfor kmalloc boundaries"

From: Stephen Warren
Date: Tue Feb 05 2013 - 13:28:47 EST

Tested-by: Stephen Warren <swarren@xxxxxxxxxx>

> +/*
> + * Some archs want to perform DMA into kmalloc caches and need a guaranteed
> + * alignment larger than the alignment of a 64-bit integer.
> + * Setting ARCH_KMALLOC_MINALIGN in arch headers allows that.
> + */
> +#if defined(ARCH_DMA_MINALIGN) && ARCH_DMA_MINALIGN > 8
> +#define ARCH_KMALLOC_MINALIGN ARCH_DMA_MINALIGN
> +#define KMALLOC_MIN_SIZE ARCH_DMA_MINALIGN

I might be tempted to drop that #define of KMALLOC_MIN_SIZE ...

> +#define KMALLOC_SHIFT_LOW ilog2(ARCH_DMA_MINALIGN)
> +#else
> +#define ARCH_KMALLOC_MINALIGN __alignof__(unsigned long long)
> +#endif

> +#ifndef KMALLOC_MIN_SIZE
> #define KMALLOC_MIN_SIZE (1 << KMALLOC_SHIFT_LOW)
> #endif

... and simply drop the ifdef around that #define instead.

That way, KMALLOC_MIN_SIZE is always defined in one place, and derived
from KMALLOC_SHIFT_LOW; the logic will just set KMALLOC_SHIFT_LOW based
on the various conditions. This seems a little safer to me; fewer
conditions and less code to update if anything changes.