Re: [ANNOUNCE] 3.8-rc6-nohz4

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Thu Feb 07 2013 - 11:12:13 EST

On Thu, 2013-02-07 at 12:10 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I'll reply to this as I come up with comments.
> >
> > First thing is, don't call it NO_HZ_FULL. A better name would
> > be NO_HZ_CPU. I would like to reserve NO_HZ_FULL when we
> > totally remove jiffies :-)
>
> I don't think we want yet another config option named in a
> weird way.
>
> What we want instead is to just split NO_HZ up into its
> conceptual parts:
>
> CONFIG_NO_HZ_IDLE
> CONFIG_NO_HZ_USER_SPACE
> CONFIG_NO_HZ_KERNEL_SPACE
>
> Where the current status quo is NO_HZ_IDLE=y, and Frederic is
> about to introduce NO_HZ_USER_SPACE=y. When jiffies get removed
> we get NO_HZ_KERNEL_SPACE=y.

Saying NO_HZ_USER_SPACE is a bit of a misnomer. As we don't just stop
the tick for user space, but it may remained stopped when entering the
kernel. The rule is that when there's just a single task on a CPU, the
tick can stop (no scheduling work needed). But if the task triggers
something that may require a tick (like printk) then the tick will start
again. But just going into the kernel does not designate a tick restart.

Maybe a better name would be NO_HZ_SINGLE_TASK ?

> The 'CONFIG_NO_HZ' meta-option, which we should leave for easy
> configurability and for compatibility, should get us the
> currently recommended default, which for the time being might
> be:
>
> CONFIG_NO_HZ_IDLE=y
> # CONFIG_NO_HZ_USER_SPACE is disabled
>
> Btw., you could add CONFIG_NO_HZ_KERNEL_SPACE right away, just
> keep it false all the time. That would document our future plans
> pretty well.

Maybe the removal of jiffies would be NO_HZ_COMPLETE?

-- Steve