Re: kvmtool tree (Was: Re: [patch] config: fix make kvmconfig)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Feb 09 2013 - 13:08:12 EST

You do realize that none of your arguments touched the "why should
Linus merge the tree" question at all?

Everything you said was about how it's more convenient for you and
Ingo, not at all about why it should be better for anybody else. You
haven't bothered to even try making it an external project, so it
doesn't compile that way. You're the only one working on it, so being
convenient for you is the primary issue. Arguments like that actively
make me not want to merge it, because they are only arguments for you
continuing to work the way you have, not arguments for why the project
would make sense to merge into the main kernel repository.

So I think we should just remove this from linux-next, and be done
with the fantasy that it makes sense to merge this. You're not even
trying to convince anybody else about the merge making sense.

You might as well continue to work the way you do, and I don't mind -
but none of it argues for me merging it into the kernel. There's no
reason why kvmtool couldn't be external the way all the other
virtualization projects are.

Linus