Re: [GIT] Security subsystem updates for 3.9

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Feb 21 2013 - 11:26:42 EST

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 6:03 AM, James Morris <jmorris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is basically a maintenance update for the TPM driver and EVM/IMA.

Hmm. There were conflicts in lib/digsig.c and ima_main.c. The digsig
one was pretty trivial, but I'd like people to take a look at the IMA
one.

And that's not because the conflict itself was all that complex - I'm
pretty sure I resolved it correctly. But I do want to make sure that
everybody agrees on the whole module integrity checking thing. I
resolved it to be like the semantics in Mimi's commit a7f2a366f623,
which means that for non-file modules, IMA does:

Only fail the non-file module if
(a) IMA_APPRAISE_MODULES was set
*and*
(b) CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_FORCE is not set.

If CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_FORCE it ignores IMA_APPRAISE_MODULES entirely,
and the module signature checking overrides everything. And if
IMA_APPRAISE_MODULES is not set, we say "whatever". So it makes sense,
but I wanted people to just be aware of it and agree on it, since the
security tree modified this part without apparently being aware of the
changed semantics.

Linus