Re: [GIT PULL] ACPI and power management fixes for v3.9-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Feb 26 2013 - 11:47:38 EST

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Tejun Heo <tj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One interesting bit, for me (and possibly Aaron too), ODD is much more
> closer to an everyday term. For some reason, at least in Korea, ODD
> is a popular term. For exmple, the likes of newegg would use it along
> with CPU, SSD or VGA to label product categories

Just checked newegg in the US. If you look for "ODD" here, you get a
very odd response.

For example,

Fairly Odd Parents By Nickelodeon Bubble Bath 7 Oz
Model #: 692237016543

shows up fairly high. Not an actual optican disk drive in sight, but
there are DVD's and "ODD bay"s there.

Searching for "optical disk drive" works. But then I never see
anything called "ODD" anywhere. I did find it in the "Technical
Specifications" for one of the drives, though.

Anyway, in the US it is definitely not a common term for normal people.

Linus