Re: [GIT PULL] Load keys from signed PE binaries

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Tue Feb 26 2013 - 14:46:17 EST

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 08:40:53PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> | No, there's no way to set the legacy boot as the default option.
>
> <https://plus.google.com/100479847213284361344/posts/QhmBpn5GNE9>
>
> So non-interactive booting of alternative operating systems is *not*
> supported. This is way more restrictive than any x86 UEFI device I've
> heard of (even in the face of a potential revocation of the boot
> loader by Microsoft).

It's supported as long as you use Google's bootloader rather than a
legacy one, but you're still stuck with either a 30-second boot delay or
hitting ctrl+d and there's no way to install your own keys without
disassembling the machine and physically disabling the write-protection
on the firmware. It's certainly more hostile than any UEFI Secure Boot
system I've found.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx