Re: [RFC v2 2/3] power: power_supply: Add core support for supplied_nodes

From: Rhyland Klein
Date: Thu Feb 28 2013 - 14:48:13 EST

On 2/22/2013 4:58 PM, Rhyland Klein wrote:
On 2/22/2013 3:09 PM, Stephen Warren wrote:
On 02/21/2013 04:11 PM, Rhyland Klein wrote:
With the growing support for dt, it make sense to try to make use of
dt features to make the general code cleaner. This patch is an
attempt to commonize how chargers and their supplies are linked.

Following common dt convention, the "supplied-to" char** list is
replaced with phandle lists defined in the supplies which contain
phandles of their suppliers.

This has the effect however of introducing an inversion in the internal
mechanics of how this information is stored. In the case of non-dt,
the char** list of supplies is stored in the charger. In the dt case,
a device_node * list is stored in the supplies of their chargers,
however this seems to be the only way to support this.
grep over the whole kernel tree for supplied_to doesn't yield /too/ many
hits, although I didn't look at the complexity of most of them. Would it
be possible to invert all the current in-kernel uses to represent a
supplied_from/by model instead? That would mean the proposed DT binding
would then represent the same relationship ordering as the kernel code,
which would be easier to handle.
I think it is surely possible to change all the existing drivers to the
inverse logic as
you suggested. That might make a good follow patchset.

-rhyland

Anton, David, would you be adverse to the changing of supplied_to from being a
list of batteries stored in a charger to being a list of chargers stored in batteries?

(I only use terms charger and batteries as it is much clearer for me to read in place
of terms like supplier and supply which are more accurate but much more confusing
when used together).

-rhyland

--
nvpublic