linux-next stats (Was: Linux 3.9-rc1)

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Sun Mar 03 2013 - 23:22:42 EST

On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 16:28:25 -0800 Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's been two weeks (ok, thirteen days, but close enough), and the
> merge window is closed, and I've cut the 3.9-rc1 release.
>
> I don't know if it's just me, but this merge window had more "Uhhuh"
> moments than I'm used to. I stopped merging a couple of times, because
> we had bugs that looked really scary, but thankfully each time people
> were on them like paparazzi on Justin Bieber. Special thanks to Peter,
> Ted and Rafael (and the people who reported the bugs too!) for being
> so responsive. It could have been so much worse.

Well here are this merge windows' stats:

(No merge commits counted, next-20130220 is the linux-next based exactly
on v3.8)

Commits in v3.9-rc1 (relative to v3.8): 10265
Commits in next-20130220: 9903
Commits with the same SHA1: 8493
Commits with the same patch_id: 727 (1)
Commits with the same subject line: 80 (1)

(1) not counting those in the lines above.

So commits in -rc1 that were "in" next-20130220: 9300 90.6%
(down from 90.0% last time)
Commits in -rc1 that were not in next-20120722: 965 9.4%

Pretty good, but it would be still nice to figure out where the last lot
came from. I have the "git log --oneline --no-walk" list if someone wants them.

Some break down of the onelines list:

grep for drm gives 134
btrfs gives 118
mips gives 85
ceph gives 41

Quite a few of the rest appear to be bug fixes.

As of today, there are 752 commits left in linux-next ... . There are
161 commits in the akpm tree, 135 in the xen-two tree, 78 in the renesas
tree and everything else is in the noise.

There are also ~550 merge commits in there (not counting mine), so some
trees could definitely do with some cleaning up.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx