Re: regression in linux 3.7 - fan speed at 100% after suspend/resumeat 100%

From: Roberto Oppedisano
Date: Mon Mar 04 2013 - 08:25:41 EST

Added Cc: list

Il 04/03/2013 13:29, Roberto Oppedisano ha scritto:
Il 03/03/2013 01:22, Ville Syrjala ha scritto:
Roberto Oppedisano <roberto.oppedisano <at> gmail.com> writes:

Hello,
with recent kernels after a suspend/resume cycle on my laptop (HP
6730b) the fans stays at full speed.
I too have been hit by this regression w/ a HP Compaq NC6000 laptop.

>From what I can tell 3.7.x gets confused about trip points after resume. Based
on the information in sysfs, it seems to always think that the CPU temp > 65C,
when in fact it's usually 40C or so. Loading the CPU enough to rise the
temperature past the trip point where the kernel thinks we're at seems to
re-synchronize the kernel's reality with the firmware's reality. On a few
occasions however the fan did stop, but the trip points were still confused the
same way. So what happened is that the fan didn't come back to life until I hit
the next higher trip point at 80C. Under normal conditions I've never reached
the 80C trip point on this laptop.

I also tried this tree:
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rzhang/linux.git next
$ git describe
v3.8-rc2-72-gf5b6d45

Sadly I must report that it's even worse than 3.7. Even without any
suspend/resume cycles, the system gets confused. When I heat up the CPU the fan
comes on correctly and speeds up as the temperature rises. Unfortunately when
the temperature drops the fan doesn't slow down at all. So once I hit a high
trip point the fan stays at that speed forever.

I'm running now with:

$ git describe
v3.9-rc1

and it seem that the behaviour of my laptop is similar to yours.
Also, immediately after a suspend/resume cycle, the fan speed goes down,
and again the speeds correctly goes up as the temperature rises, but when
the temperature drops the fan doesn't slow.

Now the suspend/resume cycle seems almost unrelated with the issue (except for
the fan speed reset at resume).