Re: Revert commit 5dcd14ecd4 - breaks EFI boot with SLES11 elilo.efi

From: Yinghai Lu
Date: Tue Mar 05 2013 - 15:15:14 EST

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Robin Holt <holt@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> That fixed it for me.
>
> Can you help me understand why sentinel is non-zero? It looks to me
> like 3.14 allocates 16kB plus strlen of the command line, zeros it,
> and then proceeds to fill in fields, some differing from what is in the
> boot_params structure. That said, it looks like the sentinel field
> should remain 0. I am still trying to understand, but if this patch
> makes it in, I am happy.

sentinel is out of setup_header.
it is 0x1ef. setup_header is from 0x1f1.

it will be 0xff from arch/x86/boot/header.S for bzImage.

.section ".header", "a"
.globl sentinel
sentinel: .byte 0xff, 0xff /* Used to detect broken loaders */

elilo first copy first page, and get 0x1f1 for setup code sector number.
then it copies all setup code ( include setup header).

after that sysdeps_create_boot_params will copy first two pages to bp...
CopyMem(bp, param_start, 0x2000);

in that case, it will keep all fields in boot_params around setup_header as
with setup code...thus 0x1ef will be 0xff.

elilo need attached fix.

Thanks

Yinghai