Re: [REGRESSION] 3.9-rc1 kernel usb root hub stops working and cannot reboot

From: Josh Boyer
Date: Wed Mar 06 2013 - 11:18:26 EST

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Eric Paris <eparis@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've got a Lenovo T530. Booting a 3.8 based Fedora kernel my machine
> works just fine. Booting a 3.9-rc1 based Fedora kernel my USB 2.0 root
> hub doesn't seem to notice when devices are plugged in. (The USB 3.0
> root hub has no such problem) I'm assuming (maybe stupidly) it is
> associated with:
>
> Mar 06 09:52:35 localhost kernel: pci 0000:00:1c.0: can't find IRQ for PCI INT A; please try using pci=biosirq
> Mar 06 09:52:35 localhost kernel: pci 0000:00:1c.1: can't find IRQ for PCI INT B; please try using pci=biosirq
> Mar 06 09:52:35 localhost kernel: pci 0000:00:1c.2: can't find IRQ for PCI INT C; please try using pci=biosirq
>
> (also, funny thing, pci=biosirq is not a valid command line option, glad
> it told me to try that)
>
> I also notice that the 3.9 kernels cannot reboot. The kernel output the
> machine restart message and then just hangs forever. Again, this works
> just fine on the 3.8 kernels.

You're booting via EFI, right? I'm debugging an identical issue on an
EFI machine here. Basically, it looks like the efi_info variable in the
bootparams thing is cleared so EFI/ACPI is all broken.

There's a suspect commit but I'm still bisecting so I won't be blaming
anything yet. If you'd like to follow along in Fedora land, I'm working
with bug 918408.

josh