Re: epoll: possible bug from wakeup_source activation

From: Eric Wong
Date: Sat Mar 09 2013 - 02:10:55 EST

Arve HjÃnnevÃg <arve@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Eric Wong <normalperson@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What happens if ep_modify calls ep_destroy_wakeup_source
> > while __pm_stay_awake is running on the same epi->ws?
>
> Yes, that looks like a problem. I think calling
> ep_destroy_wakeup_source with ep->lock held should fix that. It is not
> clear how useful changing EPOLLWAKEUP in ep_modify is, so
> alternatively we could remove that feature and instead only allow it
> to be set in ep_insert.

ep->lock would work, but ep->lock is already a source of heavy
contention in my multithreaded+epoll webservers.

Perhaps RCU can be used? I've no experience with RCU, but I've been
meaning to get acquainted with RCU.

Another possible solution is to only use ep->ws and add an atomic
counter to ep; so __pm_relax(ep->ws) is only called when the atomic
counter reaches zero.