Re: USB Mouse Disconnect Kernel-3.7/3.8

From: Frank Peters
Date: Tue Mar 19 2013 - 12:32:20 EST

This message is a repost. I did not include the complete original message
in my initial reply, and I am doing so now.

> On Mon, 11 Mar 2013, Frank Peters wrote:
>
> > When I boot my x64 Linux system to the console a continuous series
> > of "USB disconnect/reconnect" messages appears in the kernel log.
> > The disconnect/reconnect messages concern the USB mouse:
> >
> > usb 1-1.3: USB disconnect, device number N
> > usb 1-1.3: new low-speed USB device number N+1 using ehci-pci
> > input: Microsoft Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0 usb1/1-1/1-1.3/1-1.3:1.0/input/input5
> > hid-generic 0003:045E:00CB.0006: input: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [Microsoft Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 ] on usb-0000:00:1a.0-1.3/input0
> >
> > These "USB disconnect/reconnect" messages will repeat roughly every 40 seconds
> > with the device number "N" increasing to "N+1" each time.
> >
> > The interesting thing about this behavior is that I can stop the messages,
> > and presumably the disconnects, by starting the General Purpose Mouse (gpm)
> > server:
> >
> > gpm -m /dev/input/mice -t imps2
> >
> > If I then terminate the gpm server, the USB disconnect/reconnect messages
> > will start to occur once again.
> >
> > The USB disconnects also stop when I start the graphical X server.
> >
> > It would seem that if nothing is "grabbing" the USB mouse (i.e. gpm or X)
> > then the kernel somehow automatically disconnects it.
> >
> > My system has the USB built in to the kernel (no modules).
> >
> > The motherboard I use is Intel DP55KG which has the P55 Express
> > chipset to control the USB.
> >
> > I've seen this behavior on the current kernel-3.8.x and also
> > on the previous kernel-3.7. I have not tested anything earlier.
> >
> > Please CC to frank.peters@xxxxxxxxxxx as I am not subscribed to
> > the list.
>
> [ adding linux-usb@ to CC ]
>
> Do you have USB autosuspend enabled on that device?

The CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND, which controls USB autosuspend, is not available
to me during kernel configuration because I do not enable "Run-time PM core
functionality" (PM_RUNTIME).

Based on this, I would assume that USB autosuspend is not enabled.

Frank Peters