Re: [3.9-rc1] Bug in bootup code or debug code?

From: Shaun Ruffell
Date: Wed Mar 20 2013 - 13:03:04 EST

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 04:32:14PM +0000, Yu, Fenghua wrote:
> > From: Shaun Ruffell [mailto:sruffell@xxxxxxxxxx]
>
> > Hi Fenghua,
> >
> > I ran into the same issue on a test system I use (not a virtual
> > machine) and went through basically the same process as Dave
> > Hansen w/bisecting before finding this thread.
> >
> > Any chance you could send the patch to the mailing list and I could
> > also throw it on my test system?
> Hi, Shaun,
>
> The patch is in tip.git tree now. You can get it from:
> http://git.kernel.org/tip/c83a9d5e425d4678b05ca058fec6254f18601474
>
> Please let us know if the patch fixes the issue you saw.

Thanks for the link. That patch applied on 3.9-rc3 did allow me to boot with my
default kernel config.

Not related to this patch, and not sure it really matters, but FYI: I just
noticed the following warning when building the patched kernel:

WARNING: vmlinux.o(.text+0x2a1a7): Section mismatch in reference from the function apply_microcode_early() to the function .cpuinit.text:print_ucode()
The function apply_microcode_early() references
the function __cpuinit print_ucode().
This is often because apply_microcode_early lacks a __cpuinit
annotation or the annotation of print_ucode is wrong.

Thanks,
Shaun