Re: [v3.8, v3.9] [Regression] brcmsmac: move PHY functions

From: Piotr Haber
Date: Tue Apr 02 2013 - 05:03:00 EST

On 04/01/13 17:18, Joseph Salisbury wrote:
> On 04/01/2013 10:42 AM, John W. Linville wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 03:52:39PM -0400, Joseph Salisbury wrote:
>>> Hi Piotr,
>>>
>>> A bug was opened against the Ubuntu kernel[0]. After a kernel
>>> bisect, it was found that reverting the following commit resolved
>>> this bug:
>>>
>>> commit b83576341664957978e125f5f5db2f15496980b1
>>> Author: Piotr Haber <phaber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> Date: Wed Nov 28 21:44:09 2012 +0100
>>>
>>> brcmsmac: move PHY functions
>>>
>>> The regression was introduced as of v3.8-rc1. The regression still
>>> exists in v3.9-rc4.
>>>
>>> I see that you are the author of this patch, so I wanted to run this
>>> by you. I was thinking of requesting a revert for v3.9, but I
>>> wanted to get your feedback first.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Joe
>>>
>>> [0] http://pad.lv/1131914
>> I recently reverted b6fc28a1, which is the follow-on to that patch.
>> The revert is _not_ in 3.9-rc5.
>>
>> Could you try reverting that patch instead? Does that fix the issue
>> for you?
>>
>> John
>
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> Yes, reverting commit b6fc28a1 does resolve this bug. That is the appropriate fix for this issue.
> Thanks for the assistance.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

Hi Joe,
could you elaborate a little bit on your failure scenario?
In bug report you say it happens after suspend/resume, are there any other scenarios you see this
behaviour? (like disassociation/association without suspend)
Also you mention it comes back after some time - what is the time needed?
We had reports of problems on 4313 with this patch (that's why the revert was done) but so far i
assumed it was a total breakdown, in your case this seem like a transient issue.

One more thing, could you provide info about your hardware by sending me contents of:
<debugfs_mount>/brcmsmac/bcma0:0/hardware

Kind regards
Piotr