Re: GPS driver for Linux - kernel or user-space driver?

From: Mika Westerberg
Date: Thu Apr 04 2013 - 03:29:12 EST

(Adding Lv, he has been working on this).

On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 06:44:51PM -0700, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Greg,

> >> the one thing that still bugs me is that detecting an UART with GPS
> >> functionality behind it is extremely bad experience. If we could get
> >> something like DEVTYPE=gps support for the TTY layer, that would be
> >> helpful.
> >
> > I would love that, but there's tons of USB gps devices that we don't
> > know if they are a USB serial device, or a GPS device as the device id
> > is the same (companies just embed a usb to serial chip in their
> > devices.)
> >
> > So, someone has to guess, right now it's userspace.
> >
> > Unless you have a better idea?
>
> we could at least try to fix the good ones where we have proper vendor
> and product IDs dedicated for these devices. Or where things can be
> labeled through device tree or some similar methods. The less guess work
> userspace has to do, the smooth the experience will be.

There is one attempt to do this in case of ACPI here:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-acpi/msg42951.html

Basically it adds a new sysfs attribute "peripheral_type" which then has
the ACPI modalias for the device behind UART. That should help userspace to
find out which device it is. The same attribute should work with DeviceTree
as well.