Re: linux-next: manual merge of the akpm tree with the vfs tree

From: Nathan Zimmer
Date: Thu Apr 04 2013 - 11:43:05 EST

On 04/04/2013 03:02 AM, Al Viro wrote:
On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 11:56:34PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 17:26:48 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Andrew,

Today's linux-next merge of the akpm tree got a conflict in
fs/proc/generic.c between several commits from the vfs tree and commit
"procfs: improve scaling in proc" from the akpm tree.

I just dropped the akpm tree patch (and the following
"procfs-improve-scaling-in-proc-v5") as the conflicts are a bit complex.
Well perhaps the vfs tree should start paying some attention to the
rest of the world, particularly after -rc5.
I'm sorry, but... not in this case. There are seriously nasty races around
remove_proc_entry()/proc_reg_release() and the whole area needs a rewrite.
Tentative fix is in vfs.git#experimental; I hadn't pushed it into #for-next
yet, but Nathan's patches are definitely going to buggered by any realistic
solution.
In this case I will resubmit my first patch for moving the kfree in proc_reg_release.