Re: Excessive stall times on ext4 in 3.9-rc2

From: Frank Ch. Eigler
Date: Sun Apr 07 2013 - 18:00:44 EST

Hi -

tytso wrote:

> So I tried to reproduce the problem, and so I installed systemtap
> (bleeding edge, since otherwise it won't work with development
> kernel), and then rebuilt a kernel with all of the necessary CONFIG
> options enabled:
>
> CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO, CONFIG_KPROBES, CONFIG_RELAY, CONFIG_DEBUG_FS,
> CONFIG_MODULES, CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD
> [...]

That sounds about right.

> I then pulled down mmtests, and tried running watch-dstate.pl, which
> is what I assume you were using [...]

I just took a look at the mmtests, particularly the stap-fix.sh stuff.
The heroics therein are really not called for. git kernel developers
should use git systemtap, as has always been the case. All
compatibility hacks in stap-fix.sh have already been merged, in many
cases for months.

> [...]
> semantic error: while resolving probe point: identifier 'kprobe' at /tmp/stapdjN4_l:18:7
> source: probe kprobe.function("get_request_wait")
> ^
> Pass 2: analysis failed. [man error::pass2]
> Unexpected exit of STAP script at ./watch-dstate.pl line 296.
> I have no clue what to do next. Can you give me a hint?

You should see the error::pass2 man page, which refers to
error::reporting, which refers to involving stap folks and running
stap-report to gather needed info.

But in this case, that's unnecessary: the problem is most likely that
the get_request_wait function does not actually exist any longer, since

commit a06e05e6afab70b4b23c0a7975aaeae24b195cd6