Re: [patch v3 6/8] sched: consider runnable load average in move_tasks

From: Alex Shi
Date: Tue Apr 09 2013 - 10:49:30 EST

On 04/09/2013 07:56 PM, Vincent Guittot wrote:

>>> The problem mainly appears during starting phase (the 1st 345ms) when
>>> runnable_avg_period has not reached the max value yet so you can have
>>> avg.runnable_avg_sum greater than avg.runnable_avg_period. In a worst
>>> case, runnable_avg_sum could be twice runnable_avg_period
>>
>> Oh, That's a serious problem. Do you catch it in real word or in code?
>
> I haven't trace that shows this issue but nothing prevent an update to
> occur while you get values so you can have a mix of old and new
> values.
>
>> Could you explain more for details?
>
> Both fields of a new task increase simultaneously but if you get the
> old value for runnable_avg_period and the new one for
> runnable_avg_sum, runnable_avg_sum will be greater than
> runnable_avg_period during this starting phase.
>
> The worst case appears 2ms after the creation of the task,
> runnable_avg_period and runnable_avg_sum should go from 1024 to 2046.
> So the task_h_load_avg will be 199% of task_h_load If you have
> runnable_avg_period with 1024 and runnable_avg_sum with 2046.

Thanks a lot for info sharing! Vincent.

But I checked the rq->avg and task->se.avg, seems none of them are
possible be updated on different CPU at the same time. So my printk
didn't catch this with benchmark kbuild and aim7 on my SNB EP box.

Then I find some words in your commit log:
"If a CPU accesses the runnable_avg_sum and runnable_avg_period fields
of its buddy CPU while the latter updates it, it can get the new version
of a field and the old version of the other one."
So is it possible caused by the buddy cpu's accessing?
Could you like to recheck this without your patch?

--
Thanks
Alex