Re: [RFC 4/4] cputime: remove scaling

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Apr 10 2013 - 08:02:37 EST

* Stanislaw Gruszka <sgruszka@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Scaling cputime cause problems, bunch of them was fixed, but still is possible
> to hit multiplication overflow issue, which make {u,s}time values incorrect.
> This problem has no good solution in kernel.

Wasn't 128-bit math a solution to the overflow problems? 128-bit math isn't nice,
but at least for multiplication it's defensible.

> This patch remove scaling code and export raw values of {u,t}ime . Procps
> programs can use newly introduced sum_exec_runtime to find out precisely
> calculated process cpu time and scale utime, stime values accordingly.
>
> Unfortunately times(2) syscall has no such option.
>
> This change affect kernels compiled without CONFIG_VIRT_CPU_ACCOUNTING_*.

So, the concern here is that 'top hiding' code can now hide again. It's also that
we are not really solving the problem, we are pushing it to user-space - which in
the best case gets updated to solve the problem in some similar fashion - and in
the worst case does not get updated or does it in a buggy way.

So while user-space has it a bit easier because it can do floating point math, is
there really no workable solution to the current kernel side integer overflow bug?
I really prefer robust kernel side accounting/instrumentation.

Thanks,

Ingo