Re: [ 10/11] mtdchar: fix offset overflow detection

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Tue Apr 16 2013 - 04:41:56 EST

On Mon, 2013-04-15 at 15:35 -0700, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 09:55:20PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > On Sun, 2013-04-14 at 19:17 -0700, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > > 3.0-stable review patch. If anyone has any objections, please let
> me know.
> >
> > Please use f5cf8f07423b2677cebebcebc863af77223a4972 instead (for 3.4
> > too).
>
> Really? I love the comment in that commit, "disable it for now until
> it
> can be fixed properly in the next merge window." Yet that was back in
> October of last year, no one has actually fixed this issue, is that
> because it can't be properly fixed, or just because no one got around
> to it?

Because nobody cared. It's only really used on uclinux for XIP mapping
of code from RAM anyway. Support for MMU systems was added as an
afterthought. and it shows.

ISTR I was blaming dhowells for it at the time, and hoping for him to
fix it. Although that remembrance may be incorrect, or I could even have
been incorrect at the time. I'm not going to investigate further right
now; I'm not here. 2 days into paternity leave...

--
dwmw2