Re: [HELP] Documentation onCPU:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/cache/indexX/shared_cpu_map

From: Rob Landley
Date: Wed Apr 24 2013 - 02:09:49 EST

On 04/23/2013 08:07:44 AM, Ren Zhen wrote:
Hi all:
Can anybody help me to understand the usage of 'shared_cpu_map' in
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/cache/indexX/.
when I execute the cmd--'#cat shared_cpu_map', it retures '05'.
And my computer use Ubuntu12.04,Intel core i3 CPU.
I have read one email in LKML,it says:

"The patch also adds a bunch of interfaces under
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/cache, showing various information about the
caches. Most useful field being shared_cpu_map, which says what caches are
shared among which logical cpus. "

But I still cannot catch the meaning of 'which says what caches
are shared among which logical cpus'.

Sounds like it means the L2 cache would be a communal resource shared between processors on die. So either processor could fault in cache lines into that pool of memory, evicting other cache lines as necessary to make space. So if only one processor was running, it could act like it had twice as much L2 cache because the memory it faulted in would (statistically speaking) stay in L2 cache longer before being evicted to make way for other memory accesses.

At a guess, the bits set (1<<0 and 1<<2 in this case) indicate which cpus access memory through the same pool of L2 cache.

Rob--