Re: h8300 SYMBOL_NAME() breakage

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon May 06 2013 - 10:30:15 EST

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 5:31 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> How should this be fixed?
> - Re-add SYMBOL_NAME() to arch/h8300/include/asm/linkage.h?

No. The whole point was to *not* have these random private definitions.

I guess you could use VMLINUX_SYMBOL() and include <linux/export.h>
and then use VMLINUX_SYMBOL(). Although..

> - Kill SYMBOL_NAME() and SYMBOL_NAME_LABEL(), and hardcode the
> underscores in the h8300 asm sources?

.. I think this is what everybody else does. Although sometimes that
underscore depends on what the linkage format is (ie historically
a.out vs elf etc). We pretty much expect ELF these days, but maybe
other conditional reasons exist - so there may be a reason you don't
want to do the hardcoding (although on h8300 it seems to be
unconditional at least for now).

Linus