Re: regmap: Question about devices with unequal register sizes

From: Daniel Mack
Date: Mon May 06 2013 - 12:32:13 EST

On 17.02.2013 17:23, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 06:03:51PM +0100, Daniel Mack wrote:
>
>> The register layout is described on page 26, and they call their
>> registers 'subaddresses'. Up to sub-address 0x1c, I see no problem
>> mapping that to a simple 8-bit regmap layout, but above that, access
>> gets trickier because registers change their sizes, which breaks the cache.
>
> The regmap I/O code isn't making any effort to support such devices, the
> hardware is just too crazy to worry about. The best you can do is use
> the no-bus support and open code your physical I/O so you can still use
> the cache.

So it turns out I need to write these registers now on the TAS5086
codec, which has such a strange layout. I wonder how I can possibly open
code the physical I/O with registers that are up to 20 bytes in size,
while the reg_write callback in struct regmap_config assumes an unsigned
int suffices for the data? Any example you can point me to?

Thanks,
Daniel