Re: device tree not the answer in the ARM world [was: Re: runningDebian on a Cubieboard]

From: Rob Landley
Date: Tue May 07 2013 - 23:45:34 EST

On 05/06/2013 03:55:11 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 9:01 PM, Rob Landley <rob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You realize that nobody except Samsung and Apple is currently making money
> in the smartphone space, right?

ok, ok - substitute "tablet" or "laptop" or "media centre" for
"smartphone" . actually it doesn't matter what the product is, really.
the economics are the same: by the time you get to over 100 million
units, the software development costs are somewhere around the 4th
decimal place.

Actually it does. (That was the whole point of the video I posted a link to.)

mainframe -> minicomputer -> microcomputer -> smartphone

We've seen this dance before. The new thing will coalesce into a de-facto standard. (The interesting tablets are big phones, not small PCs. The "surface" is this generation's microvax.) All gets back to economies of scale again...

> Yes, you can install Linux on cheap plastic pieces of nonstandard crap that
> have already ceased production before you can buy one. It's about as
> interesting as hollowing out a Furby and making it run Linux.

tell me about it. now you know what drove me to come up with the
Rhombus Tech initiative. been there, rob, and decided i didn't like
being fucked about, and decided to do something about it.

I'm attempting to hijack android and convince it to evolve into something usable (as I descibed in the ELC talk, starting around the 30 second mark), but day job's leaving me spread a touch thin this month...

>> do you see the point, james? the cost of the software development is
>> utterly, utterly, utterly irrelevant.
>

> Which means that nothing we do matters to them anyway, they will never
> listen to us, we have no reason to listen to them, and they can basically
> piss off and stop bothering us?

well, i'm listening. through some _really_ random and extremely
lucky - very very jammy - coincidences, i have access to some very
very large factories in china. we've been talking to them for some
time, and because of the sheer overwhelming scales that they're
dealing with, they reaaaaally like the advantages that 1) and 2) bring
to them [above, right at the top of this message].

mind you, it took us 18 months to explain it to them, but when we
finally managed, they were really fired up.

Link above is the video of my speech trying to explain what I think's coming (and how I hope to take advantage of it). Video and outline:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGmtP5Lg_t0
http://landley.net/talks/celf-2013.txt

Only the first 30 seconds are about "what is toybox". The rest is _why_ is toybox, I.E. attempting to steer the PC to smartphone transition so we have a shot at a a non-locked-down general purpose computing device.

and this is the opportunity that i'm acting as the gateway for *you*
- free software developers - to gain access to, to make a difference
and finally stop having to fuck around cleaning up after the mess made
by the pathological profit-maximising corporations who get up our
noses year on year.

Eh, pathological short term profit-maximizing loses out long-term to sustainable initiatives. We're not always sure what the

> Meanwhile, we pay attention to the companies that have a future, and not the
> modern gold rush iteration. (Before the smartphone we had the digital watch
> boom, the calculator boom, the incomptible 8-bit microcomputer boom, the
> dot-com pets.com/drkoop.com era... this is not a new thing, and unix has
> lived through all of it.)

i'll be sticking around and keeping an eye on the EOMA initiative for
the next decade, see how far it gets. that kind of long-term
commitment

> Don't get me wrong: I'm happy to provide them with good tools. But making
> their needs a primary design consideration when it comes to sustainability
> and upgrade paths is wrong.

indeed.

>A company that lives or dies based on half a
> cent in component selection is NOT worried about an upgrade path. It's
> making something disposable, and the company itself is disposable.

whereas the EOMA initiative is at the complete opposite end of the
spectrum. and products based around the EOMA standards, although
there is a cost overhead of e.g. around $6 in parts for EOMA-68, there
is a whopping great saving of 30 to 40% to the customer when compared
to other products *if* your end-user is prepared to swap / share CPU
Cards between two products. if they share the CPU Card between three
products then the saving to them is even greater.

In theory, Moore's Law says that buys you... 9 months?

(At the low end I'm never quite sure where the fixed costs come to dominate. Moore's law was just about price/performance ratio, not about absolute price. We haven't gone down to disposable devices because at a certain point the battery and case cost more than the electronics...)

But as I mentioned in the video, smartphones have to be good _phones_ to tap into the billion-unit niche.

not only that but rather than throw away an entire product just
because a CPU Card is obsolete [to them] the end-user can either
re-purpose the CPU Card in a slower product, or sell it on e-bay, or
re-use it in a freedombox.... whatever they like.

A phone is a mass-produced consumer electronics device. Is "I can rip the guts out of my DVD player and re-use it" a commercially interesting statement?

what they *don't* have to do is put the entire product in landfill.

etc. etc. i could go on about this at some length but i've already
done so lots of times.

Link?

>> but the amount of time taken on software development is *not* the
>> same as the *cost* of the software development.
>

> And neither is the same as the quality or sustainability of the resulting
> software. But if the product line will be be discontinued three months after
> its introduction, who cares about being able to maintain anything?

exactly. so in this case, with EOMA-68, even if a CPU has a 3 month
lifecycle, it's a 3 month lifecycle on *only* the CPU Card (not the
entire product range), and in that 3 months that CPU Card sold 10
times more than if it was used in only one single-board product.

so to a factory making EOMA-68 CPU Cards with that 3-month-lifecycle
CPU, it's still worth doing, and still worth doing well.

so. to summarise: have i made it clear, rob, that only by doing
things like EOMA - which is basically about creating mandatory
standards with device-tree in each product's EEPROM - does device-tree
actually become *truly* useful? if not, please do say so, because
this is really important to get the message over to people.

20 years ago all the bespoke 8-bit machines were replaced by commodity PCs. Rather a lot of the bespoke embedded systems are going to be replaced by repurposed smartphone packages. But a smartphone package has to be a good phone in addition to whatever else it does, or else it won't tap into the economies of scale of this billion-unit niche.

Everything I had to say on this topic was in the ELC talk. That was on the _software_ side, not on the hardware side, but it might provide a useful framework...

Rob

P.S. Well, not _everything_. I never mentioned that Apple Airport was obviously Steve Jobs' solution to the display portion of the "smartphone as workstation" problem, I didn't hammer very hard on LLVM being primarily sponsored by Apple...--