Re: [RFC 3/8] mfd:syscon: Introduce claim/read/write/release APIs

From: Srinivas KANDAGATLA
Date: Fri May 10 2013 - 08:58:12 EST

Hi Marc,

I would like to explain you bit more about "ST System Configuration
registers".

The SOCs are assembled from existing IP blocks, which don't change very
often. However these blocks are assembled in different configurations to
meet the device requirements. So most IP blocks as well as having a bus
interface through which their own registers are accessible, will also
have a number of bristles(wires) which are signals that are going in and
out of the IP for configuration and status. To make these signals
accessible to software they are wired to "System Configuration Registers".

Drivers target the IP blocks, which don't change much. Where as the
mapping of IP specific bristles(wires) to "System Configuration
Registers" do change per each SOC, and therefore we do not want this
information to be part of the driver.

Having a System Configuration infrastructure gives much flexibility and
abstraction to drivers to configure them.

Given the comments on the patch, I am inclined not to use syscon for ST
specific "System Configuration Registers", alternatively I would like to
create a separate mfd system configuration driver specific to ST.

This is how we did it initially in the out-of-tree kernel.
http://git.stlinux.com/?p=stm/linux-stm.git;a=blob;f=drivers/stm/sysconf.c

Any suggestions?

thanks,
srini