Re: udev races with 'arch_register_cpu' to write 1 to/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online (which is not yet created)

From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
Date: Mon May 13 2013 - 09:31:40 EST

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 06:34:34PM +0200, Igor Mammedov wrote:

> >> Oh, I imagine you want to know _how_ to do it too, right? (sorry, I
> >> couldn't resist...)
> >
> >Heh.
> >>
> >> Make this a default attribute of the cpu device, and then it will be
> >> created by the driver core before the uevent is sent to userspace.
> >> That's what you are supposed to do in the first place, adding files "by
> >> hand" is wrong, for this very reason.
> >
> >OK, will prep up a patch shortly.
>
> Hello Konrad,
>
> Is there a posted/accepted patch or idea was dropped?

Hey Igor,

CC-ing here Chuck here who is looking at that. My recollection (and Chuck please
correct me if I am wrong) is that the idea Greg outlined won't work very well.
The reason is that making 'online' an attribute of 'struct dev' means that:
1) A lot of SysFS attributes that have no notion of online/offline (say ISA bus)
will now have.
2) The default action item (so function) to do something based on writting/reading
from 'online' will have to be overridden by the driver using it. Which means
another race - we can create an SysFS attribute but the default points to something
that does nothing.

Chuck, does that sound right?