Re: Linux source tree size difference issue

From: Roland Eggner
Date: Fri May 17 2013 - 15:44:28 EST

On 2013-05-17 Friday at 10:20 +1000 Chris Jones wrote:
> I have cloned the Linux kernel source tree locally. It comes in at
> approx. ~500MB. I have then created another git repository to push the
> source to for my own work. I rsynced the tree locally to another
> directory and now I am currently pushing it in to the new repository and
> it's at 58% and is already at 525MB.
>
> I can not understand the stark difference in source and directory size.
> Running diff tells me both local source tree directories are exactly the
> same.
>
> Can anyone explain this in layman's terms?

$ LC_ALL=C du --help | grep -E -e 'apparent|sparse|fragmentation'
--apparent-size print apparent sizes, rather than disk usage; although
the apparent size is usually smaller, it may be
larger due to holes in ('sparse') files, internal
fragmentation, indirect blocks, and the like
-b, --bytes equivalent to '--apparent-size --block-size=1'

--
Regards
Roland Eggner