Re: [patch v7 0/21] sched: power aware scheduling

From: Preeti U Murthy
Date: Sun May 19 2013 - 22:33:04 EST

Hi Alex,

On 05/20/2013 06:31 AM, Alex Shi wrote:

>> I ran ebizzy on a 2 socket, 16 core, SMT 4 Power machine.
>
> Is this a 2 * 16 * 4 LCPUs PowerPC machine?

This is a 2 * 8 * 4 LCPUs PowerPC machine.

>> The power efficiency drops significantly with the powersaving policy of
>> this patch,over the power efficiency of the scheduler without this patch.
>>
>> The below parameters are measured relative to the default scheduler
>> behaviour.
>>
>> A: Drop in power efficiency with the patch+powersaving policy
>> B: Drop in performance with the patch+powersaving policy
>> C: Decrease in power consumption with the patch+powersaving policy
>>
>> NumThreads A B C
>> 2 33% 36% 4%
>> 4 31% 33% 3%
>> 8 28% 30% 3%
>> 16 31% 33% 4%
>>
>> Each of the above run is for 30s.
>>
>> On investigating socket utilization,I found that only 1 socket was being
>> used during all the above threaded runs. As can be guessed this is due
>> to the group_weight being considered for the threshold metric.
>> This stacks up tasks on a core and further on a socket, thus throttling
>> them, as observed by Mike below.
>>
>> I therefore think we must switch to group_capacity as the metric for
>> threshold and use only (rq->utils*nr_running) for group_utils
>> calculation during non-bursty wakeup scenarios.
>> This way we are comparing right; the utilization of the runqueue by the
>> fair tasks and the cpu capacity available for them after being consumed
>> by the rt tasks.
>>
>> After I made the above modification,all the above three parameters came
>> to be nearly null. However, I am observing the load balancing of the
>> scheduler with the patch and powersavings policy enabled. It is behaving
>> very close to the default scheduler (spreading tasks across sockets).
>> That also explains why there is no performance drop or gain with the
>> patch+powersavings policy enabled. I will look into this observation and
>> revert.
>
> Thanks a lot for the great testings!
> Seem tasks per SMT cpu isn't power efficient.
> And I got the similar result last week. I tested the fspin testing(do
> endless calculation, in linux-next tree.). when I bind task per SMT cpu,
> the power efficiency really dropped with most every threads number. but
> when bind task per core, it has better power efficiency on all threads.
> Beside to move task depend on group_capacity, another choice is balance
> task according cpu_power. I did the transfer in code. but need to go
> through a internal open source process before public them.

What do you mean by *another* choice is balance task according to
cpu_power? group_capacity is based on cpu_power.

Also, your balance policy in v6 was doing the same right? It was rightly
comparing rq->utils * nr_running against cpu_power. Why not simply
switch to that code for power policy load balancing?

>>> (belay that, was thinking of keeping all tasks on a single node, but
>>> it'll likely stack the whole thing on a CPU or two, if so, it'll hurt)
>>
>> At this point, I would like to raise one issue.
>> *Is the goal of the power aware scheduler improving power efficiency of
>> the scheduler or a compromise on the power efficiency but definitely a
>> decrease in power consumption, since it is the user who has decided to
>> prioritise lower power consumption over performance* ?
>>

> It could be one of reason for this feather, but I could like to
> make it has better efficiency, like packing tasks according to cpu_power
> not current group_weight.

Yes we could try the patch using group_capacity and observe the results
for power efficiency, before we decide to compromise on power efficiency
for decrease in power.

Regards
Preeti U Murthy