Re: [GIT PULL v2] MFD: Fixes due for the v3.10 -rc:s

From: Fabio Baltieri
Date: Tue May 21 2013 - 05:12:47 EST

Hi Samuel,

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 10:56:50AM +0200, Samuel Ortiz wrote:
> Hi Fabio,
>
> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 09:51:40AM +0200, Fabio Baltieri wrote:

> > > Unless I'm missing something here, this one is not really rcN material, so
> > > I'd appreciate if you could queue it to your for-mfd branch instead.
> >
> > The last two:
> >
> > mfd: ab8500-sysctrl: Set sysctrl_dev during probe
> This one is already in mfd-fixes, the commit log was clear enough.

Great!

> > mfd: ab8500-sysctrl: Let sysctrl driver work without pdata
> This one is not, as the commit log is not showing it actually fixes something
> but only makes the code cleaner. If it really fixes something, could you
> please provide me with a commit log that describes what exactly it fixes ?

Ok, the fix here is that right now that driver is initialized without a
specific pdata (that is plat->sysctrl), so enforcing it breaks existing
platforms for no reason. To make the commit more clear I would just
point that out as in (just last two sentences):

--- >8 ---
mfd: ab8500-sysctrl: Let sysctrl driver work without pdata

A check for a valid plat->sysctrl was introduced in:

2377e52 mfd: ab8500-sysctrl: Error check clean up

but the driver works just fine even without that initialization data,
and enforcing it breaks existing platforms for no reason.

This patch removes the check and let the driver go ahead with probe.

Is it better?

Thanks,
Fabio

--