Blocking allmodconfig with missing defaults (was: Re: kbuild: Fixmissing '\n' for NEW symbols in yes "" | make oldconfig >conf.new)

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Thu May 23 2013 - 05:52:34 EST

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM, Linux Kernel Mailing List
<linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Gitweb: http://git.kernel.org/linus/;a=commit;h=62dc989921df2a98d1a73aacd085abe941cb9828
>
> According to Documentation/kbuild/kconfig.txt, the commands:
>
> yes "" | make oldconfig >conf.new
> grep "(NEW)" conf.new
>
> should list the new config symbols with their default values.

There are other cases where this is not working.
If there are int or hex symbols without a default value, "allmodconfig",
"allyesconfig", "allnoconfig", and "randconfig" fill in empty string values,
causing a subsequent build (which does oldconfig) to wait for user input.

This is easy to reproduce:
make ARCH=h8300 allmodconfig
make ARCH=h8300 oldconfig

Should kconfig generate default values for these cases?
Should all int/hex symbols provide default values? If yes, I think
kconfig should
complain about missing defaults.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert