Re: Is spin_is_locked() safe to use with BUG_ON()/WARN_ON()?

From: David Howells
Date: Thu May 23 2013 - 11:12:49 EST

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We do *not* want to add some crazy "spin_is_nt_locked". We just want
> to get rid of these idiotic debug tests.

Generally, I think you are right, though there are also some checks in
deallocation routines that check that a spinlock is not currently held before
releasing the memory holding it - should those be allowed to stay? I'd be
tempted to wrap the whole check in something, perhaps an "spin_lock_uninit()"
and move the check to a header file. Would this be useful for lockdep or
anything like that?

David