Re: [regression, bisected] x86: efi: Pass boot services variableinfo to runtime code

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Fri May 31 2013 - 07:06:25 EST

On Fri, 31 May 2013, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> So this change needs to be reverted or fixed.

I don't think anyone is arguing against that.

My remark was purely to describe the current status quo and help to
understand what exactly is happening, i.e.:

- QueryVariableInfo() should be a valid thing to do from inside boot
environment, according to the spec
- now we see that at least SGI bios (an probably other incarnations)
think otherwise
- if we are not able to fix / work around the bug in BIOS (*), we have to
make a choice between two evils -- either increase likelyhood of
bricking certain machines due to filling the EFI storage space, or
break booting on broken BIOSen
- the theory is that Borislav's 1:1 mapping patches will work this around;
one of the supporting arguments being that it's probably what Windows is
doing. I believe Borislav is in the process of testing this. But the
patches are not ready for mainline yet.

(*) If one would be naive enough, he'd believe that the pressure should be
put on the BIOS writers instead of OS to fix the bug :)

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs