Re: regression: from 3.8 to 3.9: headphones output no sound on Intel HDA, codec VIA VT1802

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Fri May 31 2013 - 09:04:28 EST

At Fri, 31 May 2013 12:31:19 +0200,
Alex Riesen wrote:

> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > At Fri, 24 May 2013 23:32:14 +0200, Alex Riesen wrote:
> >> I'm sorry to say that I will not be able to test it in the next
> >> 8 or so days: I'll be traveling and without this particular laptop
> >> with me. I hope someone with similar model (Sytem76 Lemur lemu4, i7)
> >> can provide some testing in the meantime. Otherwise, I'll test
> >> it as soon as I get back.
> >
> > Don't worry, the bug is more difficult than I thought :)
>
> I was afraid you will say that sooner or later :)

Better than too late, no? ;)

> > When you back, could you try the following and give the outputs?
> > So, you'll get 4 alsa-info.sh outputs (step 3, 6, 7 and 8), and 4
> > trace logs (step 5, 6 and 7).
>
> Done. That's a lot of data, so please download it from here:
>
> http://familie-riesen.de/~raa/public/test/no-cached-write-test.tar.bz2
>
> The system boot is in linuxrc-safemode, and the test itself in test.sh.
> The logs and transcript in report/.

Thanks a lot. Strangely, in these logs, I see no trace of setting the
pin 0x25 with control 0x00. Also EAPD isn't changed. So, I have to
conclude again that it's the hardware who resets these controls.

Below is a series of patches. For simplicity, I just attach them, not
inlining to the mail. They should be applicable cleanly to 3.9.4 as
well. Let me know if this works. If this still doesn't work, I need
to rewrite the patch to correct the pin-ctl / EAPD of the headphone
pin after changing the speaker pin.

Takashi