Re: [regression, bisected] x86: efi: Pass boot services variableinfo to runtime code

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Fri May 31 2013 - 19:30:58 EST

On Fri, 31 May 2013, Russ Anderson wrote:

> OK. I get nvram looks full due to lack of garbage collection
> on some systems. Does QueryVariableInfo (at runtime) tell you
> it is full? Is the problem that it says it is full when it
> is not, or does not tell you it is full when it is?

We are trying to count the size occupied by existing UEFI variables.
QueryVariableInfo() called from runtime environment doesn't give a full
picture, as it doesn't provide information about boot-only variables.

Hence the patch.

> > up the size of the variables ourselves, but that only gives us the value
> > for runtime-visible variables. We also need to know how much space is
> > used by variables that are only visible during boot,
>
> Is it valid to assume that only the kernel writes to nvram at
> runtime?

Well, mostly yes. But if the kernel doesn't know what the initial state
is, it can't count the size properly.

> > > Which means the previous patch(es) that caused the bricking should
> > > get pulled, too.
> >
> > There are no patches that cause the bricking.
>
> I thought that was the problem you were trying to avoid.

The problem that needs to be avoided is machines turning into bricks if
EFI storage nvram is getting full.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs