Regression in RCU subsystem in latest mainline kernel

From: Rojhalat Ibrahim
Date: Fri Jun 14 2013 - 07:47:16 EST

Hi,

the current mainline kernel from git reproducibly hangs on my Freescale
PowerPC P5020DS development system. Most of the time the hang occurs during
boot (kernel just stops booting, system hangs), sometimes shortly after
booting (system hangs, no message). Very often booting stops at the
initialization of the Intel PRO 1000 PCIe network device (e1000e).

I used git bisect and arrived at this commit:

016a8d5be6ddcc72ef0432d82d9f6fa34f61b907
rcu: Don't call wakeup() with rcu_node structure ->lock held

With versions before that commit the system runs normally.

Rojhalat