Re: MTRR use in drivers

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Sun Jun 23 2013 - 17:56:56 EST

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 06/23/2013 12:29 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Jun 2013, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> >> Why do you care about performance when PAT is disabled?
> >
> > It will regress already slow boxes. We blacklist a LOT of P4s, PMs, etc and
> > nobody ever took the pain to track down which ones of those actually have
> > PAT+MTRR aliasing bugs.
> >
> > These boxes have boards like the Radeon X300, which needs either PAT or MTRR
> > to not become unusable...
>
> We're talking hardware which is now many years old, but this is causing
> very serious problems on real, modern hardware. As far as I understand
> it, too, the blacklisting was precautionary (the only bug that I
> personally know about is a performance bug, where WC would be
> incorrectly converted to UC.)

And as far as I could find from Intel's not-that-complete public
"specification updates", we are applying the errata workaround to a few more
processors than strictly required, but since I have no idea how to write a
test case, I can't whitelist the 3rd-gen Pentium M on my T43, nor can I get
ThinkPad owners to test it for us on 1st and 2nd-gen Pentium M and report
back.

> We need a way forward here. If it is the only way I think we would have
> to sacrifice the old machines, but perhaps something can be worked out
> (e.g. if PAT is disabled, fall back to MTRRs if available for ioremap_wc()).

I'd be quite happy with a MTRR fallback.

Henrique Holschuh