Re: 3.10-rc6 "perf test" seems unhappy

From: Prabhat Kumar Ravi
Date: Wed Jun 26 2013 - 09:39:37 EST

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 4:39 PM, Andy Green <andy.green@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Running perf test on 3.10-rc6 gives some unexpected behaviours.
>
> This is on a dual Cortex A9 board with perf userland cross-built from
> same tree as the kernel.
>
> root@aa9-eb:~# perf test
> 1: vmlinux symtab matches kallsyms : FAILED!

> I started tracing the first failure... it stops because it can't find
> "_stext" in /proc/kallsyms. But it is there
>
> root@aa9-eb:~# cat /proc/kallsyms | grep _stext
> 800081c0 T _stext
>

> The others may be due to missing some config somewhere.
>
> Any ideas what I am (or perf is) doing wrong?

I Think your Perf test is failing at dso__find_symbol_by_name
where in perf test we have something like:

kallsyms_map = machine__kernel_map(&kallsyms, type);

sym = map__find_symbol_by_name(kallsyms_map, ref_reloc_sym.name, NULL);
if (sym == NULL) {
pr_debug("dso__find_symbol_by_name ");
goto out;
}

Here sym is search for "_stext" which is NULL here so perf test fails here only,

Here _stext having same address as some other, like

c00081c0 T asm_do_IRQ
c00081c0 T _stext
c00081c0 T __exception_text_start

Function call is like this:
machine__load_kallsyms
--> dso__load_kallsyms
--> symbols__fixup_duplicate

So, it getting deleted, I think we should disable symbols__fixup_duplicate.

- Prabhat