Re: linux-next: Tree for Jun 26 [ vfs | block | fuse (cpuidle)releated? ]

From: Sedat Dilek
Date: Wed Jun 26 2013 - 11:31:20 EST

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:24 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Sedat Dilek,
>
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 16:50:55 +0200, Sedat Dilek wrote:
>
>> [ TO/CC char-misc folks ]
>>
>> The CULPRIT commit [1] due to my git-bisecting is:
>>
>> commit 585d98e00ba7a5e2abe65f7a1eff631cb612289b
>> "char: misc: assign file->private_data in all cases"
>>
>> After reverting it, my system boots up fine again.
>>
>> Can someone from the char-misc folks look at that?
>
> Ok. My understanding is that the misc device registered by
> fs/fuse/dev.c:fuse_dev_init() makes the assumption that
> file->private_data == NULL when a misc device is opened. But I'm not
> sure to fully understand the code flow of the FUSE filesystem.
>
> And since it doesn't provide its own implementation of the ->open()
> operation, the misc infrastructure was leaving the file->private_data
> defined to NULL before my patch.
>
> With my patch, the file->private_data gets assigned unconditionally
> (regardless of whether the misc driver provides or does not provide a
> ->open() operation) which modifies the unwritten assumption that fuse
> was making about the initial value of file->private_data. I believe the
> assumption made by fuse over the initial value of this variable is a
> bit fragile.
>
> Maybe the FUSE code needs to be slightly adjusted to not make this
> assumption?

Hi Thomas,

( Fast response like a "free electron". )

That's a question for Miklos :-).

As said I have here a WUBI (fuse/loop/ext4) installation which is not
quite common, but catched some nice bugs people normally do not hit.
I can only confirm your change let's me no more boot into my system.

- Sedat -